Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Design Lingo-Design World

I thought I would share my design knowledge with the rest of my blogging friends. Some of them like to feel superior by using french design terms to confuse us. What they don't know is that I studied design in high school and thought I would finally share my expertise. First, the design of my bedroom has changed over the years. In my infancy in the design world, I took a well known Arabic term called Damask and created Rebmask. For those of you who don't know Damask is a firm lustrous fabric that is woven together in flat patterns (see wikipedia). In the 4th grade I decided to start taking pictures from magazines and taping them on my wall. What started out as a small little section of my room soon grew to encompass all 4 walls and in fact was the start of Rebmask. This technique however similar to damasking actually takes the face of Country SuperStar Reba McEntire and creates an elaborate woven flat pattern. Though on the cutting edge in the decorating world, most critics find the technique obsessive and fanatical. But in my heart I know that Rebmask will soon be a hit and found in decorating magazines all over. While I would have been completely satisfied living in my Rebmask room the rest of my life, I had been bitten by the design bug and therefore had to move on to my second and most famous technique, Nospaze (pronounced with a slight french accent). This technique was born out of absolute necessity after returning from college. My wardrobe had doubled and the clothes I had acquired had to be put into another dresser, which put my wall space back to zero. With all the projects I'm constantly doing, I had to bring in my craft table which took my floor space to zero as well. Thus the word Nospaze in Latin translates to-an aggregate zero.

When discussing rules of design and beauty I try not to seem like a 'knowitall.' But since we discuss Damask in almost every conversation I decided to let my friends into my design world to take a peek and give them inspiration when doing their own children's bedrooms. Pink rooms with dark pink trees are great, but do they really compare to a Rebmask room or Nospaze room? I think not, ladies look below to see what real decorating is all about!

In the beginning Same Shot after more Rebmasking




After Shots-Nospaze



You can still find some Reba in my room today, if you look closely there is a Reba clock, a Reba candle etc.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love the Nospaze look. Very clean and appealing. You are too funny.

Cindy said...

Love it, I wonder if Rhegan is ready to redecorate, I will be calling you Bree!!!

Krista said...

Oh my heck! I don't even know how you fit that table in there... HOW??? How???

Tara said...

Colton is looking at this with me and when he saw the rebmask look you had, he was like, that is so awesome. That room is so cool. Oh, he just told me the room is awesome, not the pictures of Reba. I guess he would put someone else up. Probably pictures of me. You are uber talented miss Bree!

*JULIA* said...

Really I don't think there is any name for what you have done with your walls there. I think if you did throw in some real damask it would help out a lot. Maybe perhaps a finial or two would help as well. Just ask Tara where to buy those. She loves them. Also I think that goal of being more compasionate needs to be worked on a but harder. Oh wait you cleaned my playroom for the 2nd time in our very short friendship. That is real compassion!