Monday, August 20, 2012

Gum Surgery

If you know me, then you know that I hate the dentist! It’s been a while since I have had insurance, so as soon as I was covered I booked an appt to get my teeth cleaned. I was sure I had at least 6 cavities. I knew exactly where it hurt and which teeth needed fixed. When the first thing the doctor told me was, “You don’t have any cavities” I naturally didn’t believe him. Then he told me about how my nerves were exposed and the reason that I was having so much pain when brushing my teeth was because I was brushing the nerve. This is what he told me is called receding gums. Apparently it hereditary and braces don’t help the effects. He then gave me a referral to see a periodontist.

I really hate missing work, so I wanted to do everything in one day. Turns out they must have been slow one week, so they were able to do it in July. The only problem was that it was during the same week my parents were out of town. Thankfully I have great friends, one in particular that did a great job caring for a big baby! Thanks Cinwin. She woke up early to take me. Watched me cry through the whole consultation. Activated my health savings card. Picked up my medications. Bought me yogurt, peas and chapstick. Watched 10 episodes of Friday Night Lights with me. And finally drove me home that night.

Obviously I don’t do well at the dentist, and I absolutely hated the dentist office that was painted completely purple. I cried almost the entire time he was talking to me and at one point I thought he said he was going to use pig skin for my gums. I had to get an IV which I have never had before, I think it was a baby one though and I actually didn’t do as bad as I thought I was going to on that part. But then when the assistant said are you ok, I started crying again. The doctor tried to get my mind off of things, asked me where I worked, which I could say. Then he asked me where I went to school and I could say it. But when he asked what I studied I was crying to hard by then to get it the word Linguistics out. They said I would sleep, but that was a lie, I was awake the whole time.

The medicine that I had to take made me sick for a week and a half. Everyone would ask how my mouth was and it didn’t really hurt surprisingly but I felt like throwing up all day long. I didn’t want to eat because I felt so sick but of course to take the medicine I had to eat- It was a vicious cycle!

Now that I am semi in recovery, I don’t even think anything is different. Thankfully they took pictures so hopefully I will be able to see the difference, cause right now I think it looks like he cut me up for no reason at all! Plus I still haven’t seen my bill and I can’t wait to see how much this torture is going to cost me!

Since I work all the time I hardly get to go to lunch with my friends like I use to do when I was unemployed. Therefore, anytime I have a dentist appt. we try to go to lunch. Even after gum surgery we ended up at Ah-So for Carter, my god brother’s birthday. I use to hate Ah-So and now I love it and it was so good. The downside was coming back to Cindy’s house and feeling like throwing up the whole afternoon, like I almost did 3 times. I had to close my eyes so much!

My favorite part of the day was right before we went to lunch. I wanted more medicine and Cindy said I couldn’t have any so I started crying. She said, “Does your mouth hurt” and I said “no.” Then she said “Are you just emotional” and I cried “yes”. I just thought it was so classic Bree craziness.

What scares me the most is the fact that I feel like I’m going to have to get this done again!

No comments: