Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Entertainment Center


So a long while back I became obsessed with pallets.  I found a listing on craigslist and picked up as many as I could in hopes of building an entertainment center.  All the entertainment centers I had seen I didn’t like and I certainly didn’t like their price.  I kind of had in mind how I wanted mine to look.  So one Saturday I started to work on it.  Turns out pallet wood is not that great and I ended up spending 35 dollars at home depot on some, what I like to call- foundational lumber.  I also had bought some particle wood at the Ikea as is section. 

The hardest part about this project was def the hinges.  In my mind I wanted the pallets to pop up and stay up, that way I could get in and out of the storage no problem.  But turns out to get a hinge like device like that requires a ton of money, more money than I wanted to pay for the whole thing.  So I settled on some cheaper “spring loaded” hinges but to be honest I could have used regular hinges and it would have been exactly the same and probably easier to install!





 I initially had gotten the red color for the top of my kitchen table, but used it for this project and then went over it with some walnut stain. 



It didn’t turn out exactly the way that I wanted it, but it is working as intended for now.  It is one of those projects that I’m glad I did, but probably will never do again!

 I def could have used some muscles bringing it into my house, it was quite the feat trying to move it all by myself-it weighs way more than you think!




No comments: