Saturday, March 24, 2012

Wicked Night



For 3 years now I’ve been trying to win tickets to Wicked with Katie. 2 hours before the show they do a lottery for tickets. They are amazing seats and only cost 25 dollars. We went about 4 times the first year and didn’t win. This year I thought for sure we would win. I work 10 minutes away from ASU, so I planned on going almost every day after work. The first week there were hardly anyone there compared to the hundreds that came when we went. Instead there were maybe 50 people there. So of course I was sure I was going to win. But didn’t over and over again! The last week of Wicked, the crowds really started coming out. I heard someone say that there were over 180 people there just for the lottery. Even with all those people, somehow I still thought I would win, but I would go home disappointed each time.
Katie bought tickets to the last show on Friday. Her, Owen and Taryn were suppose to go, but Owen was at work in Tucson and couldn’t come. I had always thought Katie and I would see the show together. We planned on going to Oreganos before the show since it was a place we went together 3 years ago after we lost yet another lottery. Katie wasn’t going to be able to be down to ASU until 6, so just for fun I decided to go to one last lottery drawing and guess what happened?!?!?! No I didn’t win. They were calling names and you can tell when people come in groups to win. Like you’ll see these families with a bunch of kids who are just there for a ticket to go into the hat. Well, one little girl in the group wins and you see two teenage girls just scream in excitement. They were so happy and even before they got the tickets their mom was taking pictures of them etc. You could tell that they were so excited to go and couldn’t believe they won. Well it gets to the last pair of tickets that they would be giving away and what name gets called, one of those girls that already won. I was standing right behind them and could see them ask if anyone in there group wanted to go, but I guess everyone had already seen it. So I walked over to the dad and said, I’ll take the tickets…they still were standing there, and I pushed one of the girls to go get the tickets. As they are walking up I tell the dad, I will pay more than what they cost and he said, oh no no. So the girls get up there, I give them the money and they give me the tickets. I can hear other people asking to the buy the tickets from the family, so my thought was, get out of there as fast as I can before they change their mind. I went over to the dad and shook his hand and said thanks so much and he responded oh yeah have fun at the concert! And then I booked it! I checked out the seats and they were front row. I called some friends up to take the tickets and then met Katie to go to Oreganos. It was kind of whirl wind, and I mean technically I didn’t win tickets, but it felt like I did and reassured myself that “luck” sucks and I have no control over that…but I do know how to talk people into things, and it worked like a charm.
The show Wicked totally lived up to every expectation I had and actually went beyond what I thought was possible. I thought it was just going to be a play and that people loved the songs, but the songs were the last thing on my list of likes. I was far more impressed with how funny the show was. Glenda was hilarious and there were several times where Katie and I would look at each other and just be cracking up. I also was super impressed with how they integrated the wizard of oz characters into the show. It was a really cool concept and at least made me think, yeah you really can’t judge someone because you don’t know their background. I honestly thought the show was really awesome. Granted the next day I went to a high school play and thought, Wicked was nothing more than people on a stage and really couldn’t believe that people would pay hundreds of dollars to see a 2 hour show (what we paid for 2 days in Disneyland) Some seats were over 200 dollars, that was for only 1 ticket! Sometimes you have to wait years to get what you want, this was a long wait, but it made it that much more awesome! Ps- One time I was even reading my scriptures and the word Wicked was capitalized and I took a picture and sent it to Katie saying something about how we really need to see the show because I can’t read the word wicked without thinking about the show Wicked! I guess now I get to see the word and think about what a fun night we had!

No comments: