Sunday, January 23, 2011

2010 Year in Review: June

As I thought about June, I couldnt think of a thing that I did...then I realized the entire month I worked on my house nonstop so I could actually move into the house. From what I gather the previous owner had atleast 5-6 animals inside the house both cats and dogs. For those that do know me, you can guess that I was cleaning the entire month of June. From the baseboards to the ceilings, every single room got atleast one coat of paint, and some got a couple or more. And just so you know, before anything got painted, they would get hand washed by yours truly. In total, I would estimate that I spent atleast 50 hours washing walls, doors, baseboards etc And thats not counting the hours it took to get the brown paper bag decor off the walls. But despite going against what everyone thought I should do, which was-just repaint it, I was so thankful I did, for in every room but the kitchen did I find animal poop on atleast one of the walls. In the master closet, which for a second I thought, do I really need to wash the walls, I found cat poop on 3 of the 4 walls! Needless to say, I will NEVER have animals in my house!!! For the first month or so after I moved in, I only had a door on the bathroom, because it took me so long to take down and paint every single door and closet door in the entire house.
Another picture of installing the lights in the living room. It was a mess, as soon as you would cut a hole, all the insulation would fall in. It especially sucked because, I had just taken out all the blinds and washed them outside, and then put them back into the living room, just in time for all the insulation to fall right on them!
I had many crews who came by to help me clean.
Getting a fridge was a highlight, now I could work in the dead of summer, with no AC on and atleast have cold water to drink! And the fridge could possibly one of the best deals I got. Its list price was $1499.00. I bought it during a weekend where whirlpool was 20% off, I bought a giftcard on craigslist where I got 300 bucks for free, had a 100 giftcard as a gift and after I bought it, it qualified for an energy rebate which was 300 dollars. So after all discounts etc, it ended up only costly 639 dollars!
In the month of June I found myself picking out alot of stuff that I could really careless about, but wanted to make good decisions, fans were one of the many.

This is one of the many times I got paint in my hair...every time I went to paint a bathroom or closet ceiling, it seemed like I didnt realize how close I was and that the top of my hair was getting a fresh coat as well. The first time I just cut it out, not the smartest idea and thus afterwards I just kept it in.
That corner was going to be the death of me, if I was only taller I could have probably reached it better. I was so concerned with it being perfect, and now Im pretty sure no one could even see if it was right on the line.
One of my many trips to Lowes/Home depot. This guy really helped me out with getting the right equipment that I needed.
I never realized how much I hate picking stuff out. Im so use to my mom caring or having an opinion about what looks good, and then when I got the chance to pick stuff out, I couldn't make a decision to save my life. I finally came to the conclusion, especially with the carpet that there wasnt really a "right" choice, but that I would just have to decide and make mistakes to figure out what I really liked. Sadly with the carpet, I made a mistake. I do like the color that I chose, but the length is not my favorite. I hate that I can vacuum it and then as soon as I walk on it, it looks like I havent vacuumed it at all! Oh well, you live and learn.
This is one of the walls, that people just wanted me to paint over. But if you look closely, you can see where the animals would rub up against the corner edge! So disgusting!
The little boys were the first to skinny dip in the pool.
My parents came over one 3 day weekend to help me paint all the yellow
And if the little boys werent in the pool, they were watching a dvd inside
Picking paint colors was just like picking carpet...I basically hated it. I bought 4 similar colors of each of the colors I chose and painted them on almost every single wall. I could narrow it down to 2, but then it was the hardest thing in the world to actually choose the color. As soon as I would decide on one color, I would immediately think I made the wrong choice and think I should have chose the other color. I again finally decided that I would just have to make mistakes to figure out what I liked and what I didn't like and in some cases, I just picked the name of the paint that I liked better. For example, who knew there were 1500 different colors of white. So once I narrowed my white color down to a few, I finally just decided that I liked, powdered snow the most because I like to go snowboarding! Other paint colors include, Sweet Rhapsody, Cool Jazz, wickerware and

When I was painting test colors, I had washed all walls and had been disgusted daily with all the animal grossness and must have been going crazy, when i realized that after painting sample patches that they seemed to look like cats.
Here is some of my cheap labor. I thought if I got soapy water I would be able to take off the brown paper. Even with several spray bottles going at once, it still seemed like a never ending task. Therefore, I got a paint sprayer and ran soapy water through it, so that I could drench an entire wall at once.
It was sticky and slimy and my hands were filthy at the end.
I would just throw the paper in the middle of the room, cause the carpet was thrashed everywhere and I ended up replacing it. Once it dried, I had this brilliant idea to go burn it all in my beehive firepit. I stuffed the whole thing full and then let put a match in. The paper lit up in no time, and it wasnt long before I was freaking out because I thought for sure the fire department was going to come. It was cool for about a minute, but then when the smoke was out of control and all the ash was blowing into the pool, it didnt seem like such an amazing idea in the end.
You could probably see in previous pictures, but they had carpet in the bathroom! So I def wanted tile in there. Even though the tile was hard to choose, it was probably the easiest out of paint and carpet. Plus it helped that I was able to negotiate and feel like I got a good deal on it.

2 comments:

Joe and Dawn said...

Bree-Oh my goodness! I knew you had done a lot but the pictures say so much more. Wow! It makes me tired just looking at them. Your house looks amazing. Way to go! Now we will just find the man you deserve to share it with you:) You're awesome Breba!

Becky said...

Holy Crap! You weren't exagerating when you said you painted your house. You just got a life's worth of house remodeling education in a few months. I hate making decisions too. Looks like you dominated over those brown bags and pet poo though. Good job!! Power to the Girl!